HOME Forums The Six Disciplines of Agile Marketing book Feedback from Candace Maguire

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

Congratulations on your new book, Jim!

Top 2 most important things:

Selling agile marketing to Jurassic marketing leaders
    Measuring success (compared to a waterfall approach)
    A third for fun – How to complement agile marketing with technology product/digital labs (McKinsey lead labs for frame of reference).

Best regards,
    Candace Maguire

Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

Candace,

Thanks for the great feedback.

As to your most important things:

I do cover your first thing. My language isn’t as colorful as yours. I call it “how do you sell Agile when management is not likely to be receptive?” Essentially, I recommend a stealth approach: don’t use the term Agile; don’t use Agile terminology like Sprints, standups, etc.; figure out the manager’s hot buttons, what I call WIIFM (What’s In It for Me); and get the business units to advocate for you, that marketing is producing what they want. There’s more to it than that, but that’s the bare bones.

Your second thing is a big topic which has its own chapter. I talk about the importance of measuring outcomes, not outputs. In other words, if all Agile does is to make you more productive generating content, but that content doesn’t move the needle on business metrics, you’ll fail in the long run. I also have some suggestions for how to choose metrics based on customer behaviors that lead to things like revenue, profitability, increases in ARPU or CLV, etc., rather than measuring these things directly (because marketing by itself can’t always impact these metrics).

I sort of cover your third topic and sort of don’t. I talk about the importance of cross-functional teams and the importance of having all skill sets necessary to deliver whatever needs to be delivered. Most of this is focused on marketing, including digital marketing, of course. I do talk about the importance of having web developers and designers on teams designing digital experiences. I also have a chapter on what I call “Creating remarkable customer experiences”. This is less about creating a McKinsey digital lab and more about how marketing must work with people from other departments and other skill sets to deliver customer experiences that are both great and that people talk about (what I mean by remarkable).

I’ll be interested to get your feedback if you read the book about whether I helped with your third thing.

Take care,

Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.