Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

1. How to explain to everyone what Agile is and why it is better for them – sell it, create excitement:
    Execs
    Project (schedule) managers
    Creatives
    2. How to get creatives out of the mindset they they are going to work on this big project for weeks/months bit by bit each day. Change the mindset to sprints. Yes, we know the whole thing is not ‘done’ but this sprint is ‘done’ – you did it!

Thanks,
    Nick.

Jim Ewel
    Keymaster

Nick,

Thanks for the feedback. I spend quite a bit of time in the book answering your first question, both how to sell Agile marketing to execs and how to sell it to “the rank and file”. I don’t get into the specifics of selling it in to the two specific groups you mention, project managers and creatives. It might be a good idea to add a little bit about each. Here are my thoughts as a preview:

Project managers (schedulers)
    This can be a tough sell, particularly if they are used to traditional project management tools such as Gannt charts, Critical paths, etc. I stress that traditional project management and Agile are different tools for different tasks. If a task is well understood and is unlikely to have substantial change, traditional project management is the best bet. If a problem is not well understood to begin with, if users are likely to make lots of changes, if the solution needs to be tested for market acceptance quickly, Agile is the right tool.

Creatives
    I tend to recommend that creatives practice Kanban, rather than Scrum (Sprints). I talk about a case study at Workfront where they were experiencing very high turnover in their creative staff because priorities were constantly changing and the creatives were constantly being pulled off work to work on something else. It drove them crazy. With Kanban, they pull work off an constantly evolving queue, and they finish that work before they pull the next item. If priorities change, the queue changes, but the individual creative finishes what they’re currently working on. I also emphasize getting feedback early and often, so that they don’t invest a lot of effort in getting something perfect, only to have it rejected, either by the client or the marketplace.

I hope that helps.

Jim

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.